Sunday, August 25, 2013

Leading (myself) by example.

Did anyone go to Barre3 in the park last Sunday? It was about the coolest thing ever. 300 + people, many new to Barre3, getting their 'quakes' on in the sun. More on the Barre3 Blog if you missed it. Here's a rad aerial shot:


I'll give you a dollar if you can find me. :) 

Anyway, something Sadie said during that workout really stuck with me. To paraphrase, she talked about the inevitability of her growing up with a love of fitness because of watching her Mom. Her Mom had done daily yoga practice in her bedroom and had lived a fit lifestyle. 

I would love for my boys to grow up not really knowing a life without fitness. More so, wellness. They see me doing my b3 videos all the time now, and at the age of just 2, it's plausible that they won't ever remember the old version of me. It makes me so excited to think that just by my example, they might grow up with a healthy appreciation for their own bodies. They might live longer lives all because of the changes that I am making right now. They might grow up to be Sadie Lincolns. 

As wonderful as that idea is... and it truly is wonderful... there are still days when I waver, you know? Days when I wake up and I'm just not feelin' it. Today I woke up and felt a little under the weather. My first reaction was, well, I guess I won't go to my 10:00 class. Deciding to suck it up, I went to get dressed in to my workout clothes, reaching for my favorite top. I figured, it's impossible to be grumpy in hot pink, right? I had it halfway over my head before I realized that the dryer had eaten one of the straps and ruined it. Well, (said my inner monologue) I guess I can't go now. Jumping that mental hurdle, I put on a sub par top and went anyway. On the days I really just don't want to (which are few and far between lately) I look forward to that feeling of accomplishment at the end. That got me out the door and in the car. In class, I tweaked my knee somehow. Instead of leaving feeling proud of myself, I gingerly hobbled out on a bum knee worrying about the rest of my day. The upside, my legs are so much stronger now that it is pretty easy to just shift my weight and keep going. 

As I sit here typing (knee icing and elevated) I know I'll make it to class tomorrow. You know how I know? Because I've done it before. I modify around a sore knee and usually feel better afterward. Now that I've been doing Barre3 steadily for some months, I can look back and see progress. I can see myself getting stronger. Taking better care of my body. Gaining body wisdom. As much as I want to be a great example for my family, I think the secret to that success is becoming a great example for myself first. 

Even as I had thoughts of doubt this morning, I knew I'd go... because past behavior is the best predictor of future success. 

Proving to myself that I'm capable of change is my biggest accomplishment in this life. I can't wait to see where this road leads. 

xo
Jenn



No comments:

Post a Comment